Hola mi querida familia!
Guess what?? Last Monday we had a dinner with a family in the rama from Peru. I don't know if it is the Peruvian accent, food, or chivalry, but it was the first time I felt comfortable speaking and listening in Spanish. Yay! I obviously couldn't say everything I wanted or understand every word or phrase, but I understood the conversation and actually felt able to completely participate in it! I was so excited. I hugged Hermana Guillan and kissed her cheek (cuz that's what they do in the Spanish community) and told her that she made me feel so comfortable and I was so grateful for how nice and patient she was with me and my Spanish. I thanked her so many times for speaking clearly and slowly so I could understand. (Most of the members speak a million miles a minute!) She told me she can't understand English speakers when they talk fast, so she wanted to help me out! I love her! I decided she is my mission grandma. haha :) She definitely takes care of Hermana Francis and me!
This week was Yousely's birthday. We went over to teach them and they offered us birthday cake! Of course we said yes! It looked so good and chocolatey...but then the first bite came and it was coffee cake. Yup and they had given each of us a huge piece. Hermana Francis and I gave each other "looks" but we didn't have the heart to tell them we couldn't eat it so we just kept eating! I know.. so bad. But after we left and got in the car we just laughed and laughed all the way home. We will be asking next time someone offers us cake. ;)
Last Tuesday was transfer meeting. We had to go as part of our new sister trainer leader responsibilities. So we got to see all the changes going on in the mission. Our district added a new area to it! So now we have two new elders up here in Santa Clarita. (One Spanish district covers the whole Santa Clarita Valley.) Elder Linford got a new companion who he is training, and the new Elders are also training, so half of our district is new! It is so fun.
We have taught Peter and Rebekah lots this week in preparation for their upcoming baptism! They are so cute and excited for their baptism day. Every time we mention it Peter has an instant smile on his face!
Antonio, Gaby, Antonio, and Valentina accepted a baptismal date for November 2nd!!!! We are so excited and happy for them. Valentina turns 8 on November 1st and we specifically planned the date so that she could be baptized too. They are really active in church and already they feel like members of the rama. They fit right in!
Valentina when we gave her her very own Libro de Mormon. She hugged it and thanked God for it. It was so adorable.
I helped her pick out a dress to wear to church on Sunday and she looked so cute I had to take a picture. She and I are best friends. She is the one who helps me most with my Spanish. :)
Last Tuesday we got to have a special screening of "Meet the Mormons." It was one of the best movies I have ever seen! They did a super good job with it. Everyone should go see it. It made me so happy to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Watching the movie confirmed to me that the gospel is true and the only way to find happiness. Mom, don't cry at the part where one of the families says good bye to their missionary.. our entire mission already did for you! haha :) But all of the people that help out with the documentary had fantastic and amazing stories. So go check out meetthemormons.com and request for the film to play in your area! There was a segment about the naval academy football coach in Annapolis, Maryland and it made me kinda home sick for you guys!
But guess what? Now I finally get to talk about the best part of the "meet the Mormons" pre screening. (And finally will get to answer Dad's questions.) President Hall pulled up a power point about Hastening the Work of Salvation. He told us that hastening the work has been made possible through 4 things:
1) Temples in more parts of the world where members of the church can participate in sacred ordinances.
2) Family history is now for everyone and is simple to use.
3) There are 86,000 missionaries in the world and the numbers that were projected to decrease the past few months have only been increasing.
4) MOBILE DEVICES and SOCIAL MEDIA.
Pretty much the entire mission erupted in excitement! He told us he got a call from the missionary department telling him that they just developed training software for missionaries on how to effectively use these tools. They chose our mission to be "guinea pigs" to test out the new training materials and online proselyting. How cool is that?? They are only going to use it in this mission for the next few months to test it out and then next year roll it out in every mission state wide. (Plus Europe and Japan). We have to be our very best because the whole missionary department will be focused on us and how these things will hasten the work in our mission. WE ARE SO EXCITED! But wait.. there is more. They wanted to get the iPads here as soon as possible but then the news about the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ came out and now the missionary department of the church is deciding what they want to test. So we don't know whether we will be getting and ipad or iphone.. or when they will come. But our best guess is this month. We have missionary leadership counsel with President Hall this week and we are hoping that we will know by then. He will give us training on it so that we can go and train the other missionaries! He dropped a little hint about it but we will see......
There was also the Women's General Broadcast this last weekend. It was so good and so inspiring. I loved how all of the talks pointed us in the direction of our divine potential. All of their talks were centered on the Temple. I loved this and I know that the Temple is where we all need to focus on going, whether we haven't gone or have gone 1,000 times. The blessings of the Temple are timeless and so special. I love the Temple and I have seen it bless so many lives.
I love missionary work! It is truly the greatest thing we can do. It is hard and tiring but I know that the eternal joy we can have as we share the gospel is something indescribable. Sometimes it is scary to open our mouth and share what we believe in. But even something as simple as living the gospel and letting others see your light is just as important. Look for ways this week to share the gospel in little ways with your friends. I know you will all be blessed so much as you do this!
I love you all so very much.
Love,
Hermanita Buxton
Some crazy birds that like to hang out on this lamp post!
Hermana Francis and I trying "tuna" which is cactus fruit. It is pretty good! :)