September 9, 2014

Week 9: Happy Missionaries!


Food given to us by a family in a local ward.  They wanted to make sure we had food to eat!

Hey guys! This week was so fun!

We have been working with two less active families this week. (the Corona's and Chavez's) We sort of invited ourselves over to their houses for dinner. (Hey we don't get a lot of dinners, will you please have us over this week?) It was pretty funny, but they both said yes and we got to meet with their families and invite them back to church. They both said maybe and we didn't think either of them would come. But this Sunday both families came to church! We were so excited!! We have been working hard with them and both of their families are amazing. The kids want to learn more to be able to be baptized so we were just all smiles on Sunday! The Corona's signed up to feed us every week this month. Hermano Corona told us "okay we signed up to feed you so now you have dinners and we don't have to come to church anymore, deal?" But then he laughed and said, "just kidding, we are going to try to come every week." We are some happy missionaries! He told us that he knows the gospel is true. He knows the gospel is perfect, but it is up to us to live it. He wants to make the effort to live it again. It made me think about the little ways in our lives that we can make a little more effort to live the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Mom, this week for district meeting I made your banana bread! It was a hit. Everyone loved it so much. My favorite comment was from Elder Linford, "It tastes like home." The food that the miembros de la rama makes for us is always so delicious. I have a new love for Hispanic food. I love this area because I get to speak to so many different Spanish speakers from around the world who have different cultures and foods. I think I will get pretty good and picking out different Spanish accents by the end. I can already pick out the people from Guatemala because they talk like you, dad!

Yummy Enchilada's

Missionary work is so exhausting. We have something to do all day everyday. But it is also so amazing. Sometimes I just want to sleep, but I am so grateful for being able to serve Heavenly Father and his children.

I went on my first exchange this week with Hermana Hartt! She took me to Sylmar where there are cowboys who ride their horses to the store or just around town. It is so funny and I thought about Aubrey. Almost every house has a gate here and sometimes it is hard to knock on doors, either because the gate is locked or because they have scary dogs that bite. We came to a house who had a "beware of dog sign." The dog was huge, but it looked pretty friendly. We felt like we should go try to knock on the door, so we just shrugged our shoulders and said okay. The dog was very friendly and loving. When we knocked on the door, the lady was so surprised to see us because apparently her dog is super mean and a biter. We got to share a message with her and it was so cool to see how Heavenly Father prepares ways for you to share the gospel.

I was in Sylmar with Hermana Hartt and there are actual cowboys that ride their horses down the streets. I took some pictures for Aubrey and Grandpa Jones!

There was a baptism this week and we were able to take Jesus to see it! He really liked it and especially loves the hymns we sing. He loves having us over and learning with us. For the baptism Hermana Francis and I gave the missionary moment in Spanish and I was so nervous! We talked about Joseph Smith and his experience praying and seeing Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I was so grateful for the chance I had to bear my testimony of this experience. 

Yesterday we had breakfast with a family from El Salvador and we ate fried bananas dipped in beans and cream. Believe it or not...it was actually really good!

I am so grateful for this time I have to learn more about the Savior and our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful that I get to share the gospel with everyone and see them be happy in their lives! I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church restored through Joseph Smith.

I love you guys and have a wonderful week! As one of our investigators always says "Bendiciones de dios en sus vidas"

Love you all!

Hermana Buxton 

 Taco Truck!

 Cute dog!

I love these guys so much! We started out teaching Jesus. Then his brother Jose joined us, and now their sister Marilyn started meeting with us too! They are so cool! The birthday of Jesus was yesterday and he wanted to make sure to celebrate it with las hermanas. haha. 

Hermana Hartt and I found some donkeys to share the gospel with.

This is Marco, the fruit stand guy!