October 8, 2014

Week 14: Learning Patience

Hola!

Last Monday night we had street tacos. The owner of the truck took a picture of me and Hermanas Francis, Watts, and Jensen eating our tacos to put on their facebook page. So even though we aren't on social media yet, our name tags are out there for all of Santa Clarita to see. (and the world I suppose)  Now everyone can go to the taco truck that the Mormon missionaries go to. haha. He thought that we were helping him with his business, little did he know he was really helping us to share the gospel. ;)

I finally made it to the Habit...just for dad!  And yes, it was super yummy!



This week we have all been super excited! The iPad minis are in the office and we were going to have training on them this week. But then President Hall emailed us this today: "I have some disappointing news. I received a call from the Missionary Department that they have decided to postpone the rollout of iPads to our mission."  I guess we will have to wait a little longer. :(

This week the Sociedad de Socorro (Relief Society) canned beans and rice for emergency preparedness. It made me laugh because their food storage is so different then ours. I was thinking "Where's all the wheat?" It was fun to learn how to do the whole canning process.




Last Wednesday we had a Sister Trainer Leader Training (phew what a mouthful) and Mission Leadership Council with the mission president. I learned so much from that day. I really need to learn how to be a good missionary and disciple of Christ. I know that through this calling the Lord is slowly helping me to become a better person. It's just like giving a talk on Sunday- the person giving it always benefits more and learns more from the experience. I've decided that's how it is with callings as well. I'm learning so much more from my hermanas than they are from me. And I am learning so much from the Lord, so that I can learn how to turn my weaknesses over to him, so that he can make them strengths.

This week we put a big poster up in Val Verde advertising our Clase de Ingles. We got a call from an older lady asking us to teach her. She works during the times we teach our class, so we just decided to teach her separate as part of our community service hours. She is so hilarious and crazy! Her name is Angie. She really wants to learn English so she can talk to her grandkids. She also told us that she learned how to read and write on her own because she didn't have the opportunity in Mexico. She is so cool.

This last Friday we had Zone Training Meeting. It was pretty nerve racking to teach our zone with the zone leaders. But it turned out pretty good! We talked about preparing for conference and we hopefully inspired everyone to get out and find new investigators to teach! :)

The Hermanas at Zone Conference...minus two who had to leave.

General Conference was so good...as always! I love listening to the speakers and to the spirit. Our mission president's wife, Sister Hall, challenged us to go into conference with a question. And to really apply Moroni's promise. Because it is really our Heavenly Father's promise to us. If we ask sincere questions with a humble heart, we will receive answers from him or he reconfirms truths we already know. I really took this to heart and thought of 14 questions. I know. I'm crazy ;) But truly every question was answered. The main one I had was "How do I guide my life by a living prophet?" Well that one was definitely answered! 'Prophets' was such a big theme in conference. God calls them and we sustain them, even when it is not popular. But his prophets will never lead us astray. I know that to be true! When we stand behind the prophet and declare the truths he tells us, we will always be blessed and always stand in the right.

We had 7 investigators come to conference this week! :) Jose and Jesus came to the Sunday morning session. It was so great and Heavenly Father truly knows their needs and desires! They love the message of the restoration and to hear apostles of God testify of it and of Joseph Smith as a prophet was such a confirming testimony to them. We are excited to hear more of their thoughts later!  :) Oh and as a sidenote.. we were teaching them this week and guess what crazy thing happened? Jesus was telling us about this movie called the testaments that he watched. He talks about bible movies all the time so we were just going along with it. Then he said "I liked the part where Jesus came from the sky and appeared on a pyramid." And we were like.. wait a second. The Testaments?? About the Book of Mormon? He said yes..he has seen it 4 times! But he didn't realize what book it was until this week. Apparently they had bought it at a yard sale a year ago or so. Hermana Francis and I were speechless. I said, "Do you understand how much Heavenly Father has prepared you to hear this message? He loves you guys and knows that you are ready to know about the restored church!" It was so crazy. Heavenly Father is truly in every aspect of our lives!

We also had Gustavo come to the Sunday afternoon session. We haven't been able to see him in about 3 weeks because of his daughter's wedding in Colorado. But he remembered to come to conference which was so cute and says a lot about him. He came in his work boots and jeans and was so embarrassed. He kept saying sorry that he came straight from work. But he just really wanted to hear the prophet. :)

The Soto family also came Sunday afternoon. Valentina wore this pretty sparkly dress that we helped her pick out. "I need to look pretty for conference!" They are all doing super well. I love them so much. Valentina jumps up and down every time we come over and has the biggest smile on her face when we talk about baptism. She even brings it up sometimes! "Wait how many more days till I get baptized?" So cute. Hopefully we can still be on track for November 2nd because they all want to be baptized. (Except for the older daughter. She doesn't want to listen to our lessons.) But pray for their family because we want them to all be happy together. 

Peter and Rebekah no longer have a baptismal date. Their dad doesn't feel like he can baptize them yet. So we are super sad and the kids are even sadder. But we are going to keep stopping by and teaching them! Hopefully they will be able to get baptized next month!

Elder Lindford set up his slack line for our zone activity.  It was so much fun!


 Hermana Jensen and I had to do some yoga on the slack line in honor of our MTC experience together!





I love you all so much. Thanks for your prayers, emails, letters, and packages. They mean the world! I have the best family and friends ever! You guys are the best. :)

OH! And enjoy Meet the Mormons this weekend! Don't forget to go watch it! :)

This is our mission at the preview showing of Meet the Mormons!  I'm three rows back on the right side in the red shirt.


Love,

Hermana Buxton