Mi Querido Familia,
Here in sunny California the work is going on strong. I am so grateful to be a missionary and to have the opportunity to share the gospel. Watching others change their lives because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ is changing mine. I love being able to serve and teach those around me. Truly the Lord is the master in His vineyard and the work of Salvation is taking place all around us! It is definitely taking place in my little corner of the world. Something that I have really come to know this week is that the gospel changes people one by one. And the Savior's example teaches us to love, serve, and teach one by one, according to their needs, desires, and experiences. Conversion takes place gradually and is different for everyone. But as we continue on the path of conversion our entire life, the atonement will enable us to keep going and endure to the end.
This week so much has happened!
Peter and Rebecca: They are the cutest! We made them little missionary tags and taught them about missionary work. Peter insisted on being called Elder Chavez for the rest of the day.
The Soto Family: Well, it's happening. Antonio and Gaby are getting married! :) We are having a boda! (wedding) It is October 21st and you are all invited in spirit.:) This family amazes me on how much they are willing to do in order to live according to the commandments of God. They are so prepared to be baptized and I know that the gospel will continue to bring their family closer together. They are so excited to be sealed together as an eternal family next year in the Temple. When we told them about this wonderful part of God's plan for our families, they cried and said that this is what they have always wanted. They want to be together forever. Truly “There are many yet on the earth … who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it” D&C 132:12. Our job is to find them! I have seen this in the Soto family. Everything comes so easy to them. They have wanted this their whole lives but have not known where to look. It makes me think about how important sharing our simple testimonies with our friends and family is. We can truly change someone's life by being bold enough to share. There is a talk by Elder Uchtdorf that talks about being bold but not overbearing in our missionary efforts. Being overbearing is being bold without love. When I read that, I realized that the only way to be bold and to invite others to come unto Christ is by having love for others. At another lesson with them, Gaby asked us how to pay her tithing. "I know it is a commandment but I don't know how." We told her not to worry we have a whole lesson on it. ;) But their desire to do the right and be good people and go the extra mile it a testimony to me about how true this gospel really is. And how much it blesses our lives and the lives of our families.
Marili, Youcely, Rosie: They got to see a little bit of conference on their phones! They are doing so well and love the gospel and reading the scriptures. Marili brings her Book of Mormon to school with her. I know, so adorable. They told us that they know it is true. :) Marili told us that she was curious to know what religion one of her friends was. When she asked her, she said she was Mormon. Marili said "Oh I have your book right here!" and pulled it out to show her. The Lord places people in our lives and us in theirs to help each other come closer to the Savior.
Gustavo: He is doing great! His fruit in his backyard is ripe now and he always gives us pears and these weird tomato fruits that grow on trees. He loves learning the gospel and he told us that he might get baptized in December. haha. We told him we were going to hold him to it and get him ready.
Also this week I got to go on 2 exchanges with the hermanas in our zone. The first one I went with Hermana Watts. She is so great and I learned so much from her. Especially about working hard. We stayed in my area and so it was fun to lead the lessons with our investigators. I also got to get behind the wheel for the first time here!
The second exchange I went with Hermana Herrera in Sylmar. It was the same area that I went to on my very first exchange. So we got to go see Marco the fruit stand guy again! He gave us the yummiest fresh fruit with limon y chile all over it. :) Hna Herrera is such a good missionary. She taught me so much about being confident in lessons and teaching the people according to their needs. We also got pizza for dinner and ate it outside while practicing rolling our R's. People probably thought we were crazy!
Also another crazy thing: Hollywood likes to film movies and TV shows in Santa Clarita. We see movie sets all the time. However this week we actually got to be on the set of NCIS while they were filming! We watched Special Agent Gibbs say his lines for a part of the episode. We were serving at the senior center and that's where they decided to film! One hour it was a senior center and the next it was a police station. Good ole movie magic! It was super fun.
We also were able to do service at a 5K race this week in Sylmar. We handed out medals at the end of the race. It was so fun!
I love you guys so much! Keep sharing the gospel :)
Con amor,
Hermana Buxton
We shopped at Vallarta this week. Which is basically the latino version of Costco. We figure that buying our groceries there will make us more latina right? :)
Elder Correa's birthday party yesterday! We had a piñata and drew all over the side walk with chalk.
Nuestro Distrito de Santa Clarita!