July 17, 2014

Week 2: "It's always a good day when you're in the service of the Lord!"





Mi querido familia,

This week has been really great! My favorite quote this week came from an Elder in our zone, who no matter what, is always happy. He always says,"It´s always a good day when you´re in the service of the Lord!" I love this. And it is seriously so true. I think this may become my motto for my mission. 



Mexico is so beautiful!

The devotional this week was amazing. It was by Elder Bednar. My favorite quote was "Your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 

So we had a really good lesson this week with our new investigator Eduardo! (He is actually our teacher Hermano Sanchez so it was a little nerve racking.) He told us we gave an almost perfect lesson though! It was probably the best day of my week. We taught him about God. Dios es nuestro Padre Celestial y nos ama. We also asked him if he had a relationship with God and he said no. Eduardo has two children and I asked him how his relationship was with his children and compared it with God. That He is literally our Father in Heaven who loves us and wants to help us. Later that day Hermano S said that no one had ever taught him like that before and that he loved it! He is going to use that with the real Eduardo. (Hermano S is the ward mission leader).

I am loving the CCM. I am so grateful for the chance to devote all my time to learning and studying the gospel. I have never studied so much in my life! My district Elders are pretty funny. I feel like we got a bunch of random personalities all thrown in together! So it is pretty fun. We laugh and joke around a lot. Also, they all say thank you for the donuts you guys sent! They loved them. And thanks from me, too! That was such a fun surprise!


This week´s devotional started maybe fifteen minutes after the biggest storm we have had yet. We ran to the devotional through the rain. Hermana Eastin and I took our shoes and socks off and ran through the streets. The gutters were overflowing and even the streets had about an inch of water on them! 

The locals here are so cute. I´m in love with all of them. We don´t have any native speakers in our district because they are only here for about 2 weeks. But we see them around campus and sit by them in the Comedor. They are so fun to talk to. And they are really patient with our spanish. I'm sure they secretly laugh at how terrible I sound! But actually Hermano Sanchez told me my spanish is sounding pretty perfect with the words I do know. So YAY!! 


I had to take a picture on the bench because I knew mom would love it!

Last night we had TRC which is where they invite real investigators or members from the city in so we can practice with them. We only could bring our spanish scriptures in. It was so intimidating! But once we were in the room with our investigator, Jasmine, the spirit was so strong. Our spanish was absolutely terrible, I can tell you that. But I know that the spirit can testify to anyone in any language. Afterwards we got feedback from them which they had written down and Jasmine said that she felt the spirit very strong, even though she couldn't understand us that well. It just makes my testimony of the Gospel that much stronger!

I love you all so much and think about you guys all the time! Thanks for the many emails from all my family and friends. It means a lot! 


My cousin, Hermana Burnham! She is seriously so cute. I love her. We heard a rumor that there is another Hermana Burnham that came in this week so we are going to try to find her.. :)

I am so glad you guys had fun in Canada. I'm super jealous! I'm glad you guys had fun with the Lindsay's and that Aubrey had a good friend this week to distract her from me being gone! Aubrey, I love you and pray for you all the time. 

Something else crazy that happens every night is fireworks! You can't see them in the sky but you can here them. We asked our night teacher, Hermano Osorio, what goes on (because we hear them until almost 3 in the morning!) He told us that Mexicans like to have fiestas. haha. 

Anyway, love you guys so very much! 

Hermana Buxton