February 9, 2015

Week 32: Operation Gratitude

Spring is finally here! First tree to blossom. PS this is the prettiest apartment complex.

Buenos dias!
Where do I start... this week has been filled with crazy and incredible things!
We had a zone activity last week and we played tennis! I was one happy missionary.. I haven't picked up a raquet in sooo long. No, I haven't forgotten how to play but boy have I lost those muscles in my hand and arm. I was so sore! It was so fun to play though! It was a little tender mercy from the Lord :)
Zone picture after playing tennis.
This week we showed Elena the Restoration video. Every time I watch it my testimony grows so much stronger! The Spirit can be felt every single time. Yo se que Jose Smith era un profeta! El fue llamado para restaurar la iglesia verdadera de Jesucristo a la tierra otra vez. Debido de la restauracion, tenemos todas las bendiciones del cielo. Tenemos el Templo, donde podamos ser sellados a nuestras familiares. Tenemos toda la plenitud del evangelio -- y se encuentra en El Libro de Mormon. Este evangelio me pongo feliz cada dia!
Anyway, we also taught Daniel, a recent convert who reminds me so much of Peter! They are about the same age and just reaffirmed the fact that I love teaching children. :)
We helped Carlos (recent convert) get started on his family history! It is so difficult to read Spanish is cursive... we were all struggling trying to look at the documents on familysearch.org. But we were at least able to find the place he is from in Guatemala! Family history is so cool! The websites and programs the church has to help us find our ancestry are inspired!
We served at the armory this week with operation gratitude - putting together care packages for those serving over seas in the military. I love serving at places like these! I guess I just have a special place in my heart for the military! ;) We also got to go to the assisted living home and walk Tarzan and Lucky. We love those spunky dogs! They asked us to play the piano and sing to them so we also did that. It was pretty fun. I didn't even realize how much I would play the piano on my mission! We got to talk to many of the residents there. A lot of them are suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's. But one of the old ladies there is so good at cross stitch. And she got on us about learning it one day. haha
 Lucky and Tarzan on their walk! Look how happy Lucky is!
 What Tarzan does after his walks. He can't even make it a few steps into the door! haha


cross stitch (amazing)
We had Mission Leadership Counsel this week. I always learn so much! But my favorite thing was when Sister Hall said, "The best way to receive a testimony of the Atonement is by reading the Book of Mormon." So go read it! There are so many stories from people like you and me who were changed and given hope because of the atonement. We can learn so much from them! Have I mentioned how much I love the Book of Mormon? Because it's a lot!
Our hermanas of the San Fernando Zone (we had Zone training meeting with them this week.)
Members have been teaching us some tongue twisters! (traba lenguas). They are pretty fun to try!
I can't even begin to tell you how many people we talk to on the street who either have family who are members of the church or who have seen missionaries out in their home countries. It always amazes me.. Missionaries are working together from all around the world! Those missionaries probably had no idea that they were being noticed but they were! Moral of the story.. keep being examples of the believers! People REALLY do notice. And it makes all the difference when missionaries meet them on the side of the street!
Just want to end with a dicho de unas de las viejitas aca: "no hay jovenes sin amor, ni viejos sin dolor." haha unfortunately it doesn't rhyme in English but it means "there aren't any youth without love, nor elderly without pain." yeah... it sounds better in Spanish. haha
I love you so much! The Church is true. :)
Love,
Hermana Buxton

Elder Max Alley is the companion of one of the elders serving from this stake! Small world!
Most dogs bark at missionaries and try to bite them (must be the tag) but this little puppy became our friend! If only we could have talked to his owner... {Rachel has always been a dog whisperer.}
 Blitz in Hna Rodriguez y Escobar's area.