April 21, 2015

Week 42: Happy in Any Circumstance

Dear familia,
Well here is the view from the bottom of our mission! The ocean! Yup that is as close as we can get but it is still super pretty. We went to what is known in the mission as "The Rock." Just this big rock on the side of the mountain that over looks the ocean. It was super cool.
 The Rock!
District pic.. without the district leader or his companion.. I'm not sure why they weren't in it.
 Zone picture...minus our zone leader who took the picture.





Last Monday something crazy happened! We were turning left and a car decided to run the red light and they almost hit us on Hermana Moir's side. I have no idea how our car went from being right in collision's way to watching the other car zoom beside us but I know it has nothing to do with my car maneuvering skills. Angels moved our car out of the way. It all happened super fast and the car ended up just barely hitting the car behind us (after screeching to a stop). It was so scary and Hermana Moir and I are so grateful that we were protected and watched over.

We got a new investigator this week! Jasmine. She moved from the elder's area so she has been taught a little before. She struggles with drugs and alcohol and before she came to us the elders did an intervention with her and the hermano who teachs the ARP class (addiction recovery program). She hadn't gone but we were able to get her to go this week! She loved it and the class is centered on repentance and receiving help from our Heavenly Father. Jasmine is so nice and she is really wanting to change her life around and get her kids back. She said she will do anything to have happiness in her life again. It reminded me of the scripture in Alma 22:18 "if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee." It is amazing to me to see the Spirit work in others to move them on the path to repentance and change. I truly do know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, change is possible.

This week has been really hard for me. But I have really felt all of your prayers carrying me through the week. We had dinner with a member yesterday and she was talking about her trials that she had a few years ago. She told us that she had no idea why she was given those and at the time felt like God didn't love her. But now she understands why. Now she is stronger and she can see the blessings that came from her trial. She didn't know about my health problems but it really touched me. It made me think that through life we need to always have an eternal perspective. It is the only way to truly be happy in any circumstance. It made me think of a quote by president Uchtdorf, "When we are grateful in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. ...It is a gratitude that heals the heart and expands the mind. ... It requires that we trust God and hope for things which are not seen, which are true." My trust and faith in God is growing. I'm grateful for the hard times, because they bring us to our knees and we come to know our Father in Heaven more.

One more thing I want to share. In zone conference President Hall shared a story that I loved. It was about a less active member who began to come back to church. After some time, he went to the Temple. As he sat in the Celestial Room, an overwhelming peace and joy came to him. He shared his feelings with one of his ward members that had fellow shipped him and said, "I am so grateful that I came back." His friend said, "Brother, we are all coming back."

I know that we are all on our way back to our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for my mission. I feel like it has helped me on my journey to "come back" to our heavenly home and help others make the steps to come back as well. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Through His teachings and His atonement, the way back will be illuminated. We will not be surrounded by darkness. He has shown us the way. And God has given us the tools to stay on the strait and narrow path that leads home. Don't forget to pray, study the scriptures, and keep trying everyday to "walk in the light of His love."

I love you! and I know that God loves you, too!
Con mucho amor y carino,
Hermana Buxton

 Danny loves Bambi!
Bambi wanted me to hold her in my lap when we were eating but I wouldn't so she went and sat on my purse instead. haha
 The cutest little girl, Jareth (we ate with them yesterday)
Tacos de Guatemala con la familia Monzon
 Saying goodbye to hermana McGlothin before she went home.
 A Karate Kid mural.
 
At the library just now.