January 13, 2015

Week 28: Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning!

My dear family,

What a wonderful week in bright and sunny California! I wish I could send some sunshine to you through the mail because the weather you are having just sounds miserable. I don't know how I'm ever going to go back to actual winter again!

Spanish is coming so much easier to me. I can have actual conversations with people without thinking about every little detail! haha It is fun to surprise people by speaking to them in Spanish. One young man asked me how long I've been learning Spanish for and I said "por 6.." but he cut me off and finshed, "anos? que bueno tu espanol!" But I had to correct him and told him only 6 months. haha he was shocked! In that moment I realized that people don't normally learn other languages that fast... Heavenly Father truly sends blessings to us!

We watched the Mormon message "If Only You Knew" with one of our members and it was such a wonderful video. It truly reminded me of the most important things. Heavenly Father will help us accomplish all that he want us to accomplish.

I went on 2 exchanges this week. They were both so amazing. The first was with Hermana LaBanc. She is going home this transfer and it was so fun to ask her lots of questions and learn so much from her. She is also a military kid and so it was fun to be with her since we have a lot to relate to. Here is a little miracle: As we got on the exchange a former investigator, Maryra, texted us and asked us if we could help her pack for college. It is so amazing to me how the Lord works! He put two practically professional packers into the area at a time when she was going to need help. When we went to help her, it was very evident to us in the first glance that what she wanted to take and the space in her suitcase was going to be a problem. I felt like you mom every time I said, "Do you really need this? Do you really like this? Okay you have 5 other shirts that look exactly like this you only need one." haha Hermana LaBanc and I had lots of fun with that!

My second exchange was with Hermana Berger, and this is her first transfer in the mission! It was so fun to feel the energy of working with a new missionary. I think I've decided that my calling as a missionary is to work with and teach children. Heavenly Father keeps placing wonderful children and youth in my path! Here's a funny miracle on that exchange: We were walking around Newhall when we saw a group of children ranging anywhere between 5 and 11 playing in this patch of dirt. They were picking up rocks and putting them in empty water bottles (funny what is entertaining at that age). As we got near I said hi! and asked what they were doing. A cute little girl said, "Playing with the rocks." all matter of factly as if to say, 'What else would we be doing?' But we told them we were missionaries and that we represent Jesus Christ. We told them that he told lots of stories in the Bible and one of them had to do with rocks. (now we had their interest) And so we told them the story of the wise man and the foolish man. They really liked the story. I love the cute little spirit children bring! They are truly closer to heaven. Oh and mom! They loved the "I am a child of God" stickers that you sent. :) I was really grateful for the opportunity to remind myself that we need to always build our foundation on Christ. I love the scripture mastery verse found in Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation . . . which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." 
I introduced Hermana Berger to her first elote...her response was..."I haven't lived until now!"

On Saturday, Angel got baptized! It was the best day! His little smile after he was baptized was so precious. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to help others come unto Christ. Someone spoke on baptism before he was baptized and I really liked the way they described part of the baptismal covenant. When we are baptized, we promise to take upon us the name of Christ - which means we will never be alone. I truly know that our Savior never leaves us alone. He is forever at our side!


Sunday night we watched the Restoration with Marili, Youcely, and Rosie (and her two little brothers Angel and Antonio). The spirit could be felt so strong in their home. After the video ended, everyone was silent for a few minutes, even the rowdy boys. All three of the girls told us how happy the video made them and that they know the Church is true. I bore my testimony to them and as I did, I felt my testimony grow even more. Joseph Smith really saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and they really did talk to him! He really was called to be a Prophet of God and restore the true Church of Jesus Christ back to the earth. I am so grateful that we get to enjoy all the blessings of the gospel in our lives today because of this wonderful event. Hermana McGlothin also bore her testimony and told them about her experience going to New York and seeing the Sacred Grove. Angel (who is only 6) responded, "I have this burning in my heart and I never even went to New York!" So cute and so profound! I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has given us all the opportunity to learn for ourselves - have that spiritual witness - that these things are true. It reminds me of President Uchtdorf's talk from this last general conference, "Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth."  He says, "God Himself—the Lord of Hosts who knows all truth—has given His children the promise that they can know truth for themselves. . . .God cares about you. He will listen, and He will answer your personal questions. The answers to your prayers will come in His own way and in His own time, and therefore, you need to learn to listen to His voice. God wants you to find your way back to Him, and the Savior is the way. God wants you to learn of His Son, Jesus Christ, and experience the profound peace and joy that come from following the path of divine discipleship."

And so, this week I am grateful for my own testimony. I know that gaining a testimony comes over much time, many experiences, and lots of testing. I love how President Uchtdorf words it, "Let us acknowledge that most often gaining a testimony is not a task of a minute, an hour, or a day. It is not once and done. The process of gathering spiritual light is the quest of a lifetime. Your testimony of the living Son of God and His restored Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, may not come as quickly as you desire, but I promise you this: if you do your part, it will come. And it will be glorious."

I love you so much! I know that my Savior lives and loves me! And that he guides our church through a living prophet today, President Thomas S. Monson. Oh! And also, Missionary work is the best thing ever! :)

Con mucho amor y carino,

Hermana Buxton
My first attempt at making green salsa!  It was delicious!