The Soto Family: We went over the Restoration with them again this week. I asked them how they know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that he restored the true church back to the earth. They all shared their testimonies! It was so cute. Of course my favorite was Valentina. "Si yo creo. porque me siento felicidad en la iglesia." I love children's testimonies so much because they are so simple. We can have testimonies just by going to church, singing, learning, and feeling the spirit there.
This week we shared the He is the Gift video with Marili and her family. Her brother-in-law, Josue, even watched it with us (after some persuading, haha). They loved it! Josue even participated and gave us his thoughts and impressions. He said we could teach him more about the Savior and Christmas next time we come over. Such a miracle! The girls (especially Rosie- Josue is her dad) were so excited! Also, miracle #2- Josue said that he talked to the girls and asked them if they were really serious about wanting to continue learning with us and going to church. They said yes and so Josue is letting them come to church!! YAY! Thank you to all who were praying for them to come. I know Heavenly Father answered our prayers! Youcely and Rosie were sick yesterday, but Marili came with us to church! We were all so happy! We even got to take her to the LA Temple Visitor's Center to see the lights and watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional with the rama. It was so much fun, and Marili loved it! We watched the devotional in Spanish and I was so happy because I understood almost everything. They were so good! I loved hearing their testimonies of the birth and mission of our Savior.
We taught Danny and Brenda part of the Plan of Salvation. We taught them how to sing "I lived in Heaven." They love singing the primary songs! Danny has a pretty big stutter but when he sings he doesn't stutter at all. So he really likes learning by singing. Singing helps me feel the spirit so strong! Especially the primary songs. They teach powerful yet simple truths.
Jose has been really busy with finals and work this week, so we didn't get to visit him. But we saw Jesus! And he came to church as well. He is sharing the gospel with his friends and wants them to meet us. He keeps trying to get his friends to "stop by" while we are there, but he hasn't had any luck yet. haha
We also went on another exchange this week! Hna McGlothin and I stayed in our area with Hna Vega. We went to volunteer at the Gibbon's center again! They had just had a bunch of baby gibbons be born. They were so cute! We worked hard and saw so many miracles with the He is the Gift pass along cards. The people love them! They truly have such a wonderful spirit about them.
We also had Zone Conference this week. It was such a great and uplifting day. We talked a lot about learning through faith and personal conversion. Mosiah 4:3 says, "And they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exeeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ." I love that faith will bring us joy! President shared with us 3 things that we can do to receive personal conversion.
1) Have Faith. We can obtain faith by following the example of a righteous people in the book of Mormon. "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." Helaman 3:35
2) Repent. We can do this by yielding our will to the Lord. Those that "were converted unto the Lord . . . laid down the weapons of their rebellion, yea, all their weapons of war." Alma 23:13
3) Keep Your Covenants. We should be doers and not hearers of the word only. "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great." Luke 6:46-49
I love these scriptures. I especially love that we need to "dig deep" in our foundation. Build our faith upon our Savior and we cannot be shaken!
You have already heard me talk about He is the Gift but I love it so I'm going to talk about it again. :) Elder Bednar has said, "the work is hastening, are we going to keep pace?" I promise that if you take the He is the Gift initiative to heart you won't be left behind! Elder Holland said to "understand Christmas, not simply enjoy it." He is the Gift can help us do just that. So I have three questions for you:
What will you discover this Christmas?
How will you embrace it?
How will you share it?
To learn by faith we must act! It requires spiritual, mental, and physical exertion. Prayerfully think about these questions over the next few days and I promise you that you will find Christ in Christmas this year.
I am so grateful for the amazing Christmas miracles that we have seen this week. I am so grateful to be a missionary! I know the Church is true and Jesus Christ is our Savior.
I love you!
Con amor,
Hermana Buxton