August 7, 2014

Week 5: A giant moth and a dog on the roof!

¡Hola mi familia!

Well this week has been a crazy week for our zone. There have been three injuries in our zone. The first one: It rains a lot here and it comes out of nowhere. An Elder was running from the Comedor to our classroom building because he forgot his umbrella. The floors of every building here are tiled. So he was running and hit the tile and slipped. He knocked his front teeth out and broke his nose. Second injury: A girl in our zone strained ligaments in both her knees from praying on the hard tile so much. She had to be in a wheel chair for a few days. Everyone thought it was pretty funny that she injured herself from praying! And then there's me, the third injury. Yup. I always seem to be getting hurt. The roads here are really uneven and cracked. I rolled my ankle running during gym. It wasn't too bad so I didn't do anything about it and then yesterday I couldn't even hardly walk. I went to the doctor on campus who put me on crutches (not fun) and told me that he wanted to get x-rays of my foot. So, we got to go out of the CCM walls into crazy Mexico City once again! (Which was really fun!) 

Pictures from our drive to the doctor:

The wall outside the CCM
The Stake Center

On the road
A dog on the roof (Jack's brother)






















The moat around the CCM
It looks like my foot is fine, but the doctor is going to get a second opinion. I'll hear back from him soon. But pray for my foot :) I can't be a good missionary if I can't walk around when I get to California! 

My new cool medical sock!

So now for the craziest story of the week. On saturday morning my companions and I walked over to another district's classroom across from ours. When we got there, all the Elders were whispering and acting really weird. When we asked them what was going on, they pointed to the coat rack and said there is a giant moth over there. We turned and looked and saw this huge moth, bigger than my hand on the coat of one of the hermanas. We all started laughing. "Very funny guys." and "It's not very nice to try to scare everyone with a fake moth!" It literally looked like a halloween decoration. They kept saying no it's real! But of course we didn't believe them because how in the world could a moth be that huge? So Hermana Eastin went to TOUCH IT to prove that it was fake. The whole time she was walking over there the Elders kept saying "Stop!" over and over. But she touched it anyway and it started flying around the room. I am pretty sure the Elders screamed louder than us and they hid under their desks! It was so freaky. And after it decided to stop flying around terrifying all these poor missionaries, it decided to land on hna E! Oh my goodness this moth was so freaky. 

Hermana Eastin and the huge moth!

This week was a little hard. Sometimes classes are hard to understand. One of the workers here named Claudia came up to us out of the blue. She dosen't speak any english so her words were all in spanish. But she told us that she felt like she needed to tell us that we only get to have one mission and that we should always be happy! She told us that in Mexico they have a saying of "desahorgarse" She then pushed her hands away from her and made a whooshing sound. We didn't understand completely what she meant, but when we asked our teacher he told us it sort of meant let it go. Which of course just reminded me of Frozen and I had the song stuck in my head the rest of the day!

On sunday night we watched the Testaments. I think it is my favorite church movie. My favorite part is the end, when Christ calls Helem by name and heals him. It made me think that Christ knows me by name and knows me personally. (And all of you). It also made me think how Christ is the great healer, and can heal us of anything. Whether it be a physical ailment or spiritual. Even things like impatience, sadness, or anger. I am so grateful that our Savior knows us and will help us with anything!
 A beautiful sunset 

For our Tuesday devotional, our branch was the choir and we sang "juventud de israel." It was really powerful and it was an amazing experience. Our speaker was an area seventy. His name was super cool! Elder Netsahualcoytl Slinas. His first name is aztec and means fasting. I thought it was a cool name. My favorite part from his talk was "Don't waste any minute, any second, to testify of our Savior, Jesus Christ." I love this part because the message that Christ lives and loves us is the most important one we bring to others.

I was able to find Elder Alley! It was fun to see him and talk about Del Rio! He is a good missionary and a really nice guy. It ended up being that we were in the same zone the whole time. His parents told him to find me too. Lauren Norris' little brother is coming to the CCM next week I guess! Too bad I won't be here to say Hi to him as well! 
Hermana Buxton and Elder Alley

Also, a shout out to the Murphy's! I got a letter from them in the mail this week! Thanks guys. I love your family so much. And Megan, you make me laugh so hard. Good luck with your folk dancing this semester!

I am starting to get really excited to go to San Fernando this Monday! I can't believe I have almost made it thought the six weeks here. Time seems to go by fast and slow all at the same time. I am excited to talk to you guys on the phone at the airport! So make sure your phones are by you at all times on Monday. :) 
My Branch  at the CCM

I love you guys so much! I know Heavenly Father is watching over you. I have a strong testimony that God loves us and knows each and every one of us. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers and that He will answer your questions. I am grateful for my Savior, and I know he is the Savior of the world. 

I love you all! 

Con amor siempre y para siempre,

Hermana Buxton




PS The cookies came today!  Thanks! :) You guys made my day! My district loves you.  haha